It is important to establish which component is causing the problem should you be experiencing a loss of power to your monitor:
- Firstly, remove all batteries from the Parent Unit. If the unit is powered by batteries this will not allow us to test the mains power effectively
- Switch the AC Adapters between the units. The adapters are interchangeable
- When the mains power is established to the Parent Unit the screen on your Parent Unit will illuminate briefly when placed on the Charging Cradle
- If the Parent Unit does not illuminate when placed on the Charging Cradle then the Charging Cradle may be at fault
Now insert your rechargeable batteries.
When the Parent Unit is placed in the Charging Cradle for re-charging purposes, the screen on the Parent Unit will briefly illuminate to signal that it is receiving mains power.
The Battery Icon will appear after a few seconds and stay on for a short while. This indicates that the unit is charging.
The screen will close down and appear blank. This indicates that it is in Power Save Mode, however the unit is still charging.
To check that the Parent Unit is still charging lift it out of the cradle and then return it back to the cradle swiftly, and you will see the battery icon appear again confirming charging is taking place.
This issue could be due to the holding charge within your Rechargeable Batteries in the Parent Unit.
The Parent Unit uses NiMh Rechargeable Batteries only.
These batteries need to be used correctly, if they are over charged the battery cells that hold the charge can be destroyed and the battery will not fully charge, the Parent Unit can still show the ‘Full Battery Icon’.
It is vital, for optimum performance from this type of battery, to charge for 15hrs before their first use.
To ensure the longevity of your battery life you need to fully charge and fully discharge periodically, this keeps the cell life to a maximum.
If you are unsure about your battery performance, please replace the Rechargeable Batteries with 4 x AAA NiMh (available from all good retailers) approximately every 6 months.
Inserting Batteries Correctly
If your Parent Unit is not charging and please check the batteries in the handset. They hold 4 batteries and it is important to put them in the unit in the correct way.
Firstly the very bottom battery section of the battery compartment holds 2 batteries. The very bottom one is inserted with the nub (+button) to the right. Then place on top the next battery with the nub (+) to the left.
The battery directly above has the nub to the right and the very top one has the nub to the left.
It is a common mistake to put the batteries in incorrectly.
To check that the Parent Unit is recognising the batteries - and that they are placed in correctly:
- Please turn off the Parent Unit by pressing the round EXIT button it and place it in the Charging Cradle
- The mains power will light up the back light on the screen and then after a couple of seconds, the screen will darken
- Then the flashing charging battery icon will appear on the top right hand corner of the screen
- If the battery icon does not appear this means that the unit does not recognise the batteries. Please check that they are inserted correctly
If the batteries are over 6 months old please renew the batteries and try again. Only use rechargeable NiMH batteries.