The 4 Corner Test is a great way to ensure your Angelcare Movement Sensor Pad is at the correct sensitivity level for your baby's mattress.
To explain, Angelcare Movement Monitors do not monitor your baby’s breathing or heart. Angelcare Movement Monitors monitor your baby’s actual movements/vibrations on the surface of their mattress.
Step 1: Take the time to concentrate
There will be loud alarm sounds and moving things about, ensure you're able to concentrate and baby is being looked after by a responsible adult.
Step 2: checking the alarm
The second step applies if you are unsure whether your monitor is alarming or not. Skip to Step 3 if you know for certain that your alarm is working.
Set the sensitivity of your monitor to the lowest setting. Ensure the Sensor Pad is placed in the middle (centre) of the baby's sleeping area. Switch on all units (Nursery and Parent) and step away from the cot. After 20 seconds an alarm should sound to indicate that no movement has been detected.
If the alarm does not sound, ensure everything is set up correctly and try again; check battery levels on all units, follow the manual, etc.
If the alarm continues to fail to sound you may check for external movements in your environment:
A large load driving past causing vibration
trains, planes and cars etc
Movement from inside the nursery/sleeping area
fans during hot weather, mobile above baby's cot
People walking past/through the sleeping area
even more so in homes with wooden floors
Sleeping next to the Moses Basket/Travel Cot
movement from an adult in bed can be registered by the Sensor Pad, even when asleep
If the alarm continues not ringing please contact our customer service for further assistance.
Step 3: setting up for baby
Now we know the alarm is working, set the sensitivity level on your monitor (through the Parent Unit) to the mid-way point. This can be level 2 or 3 depending upon your model.
Remember, refer to your product manual if you're unsure on how to adjust this setting.
Step 4: the four corner test
- Place (or check that) the Movement Sensor Pad is in the middle (centre) of baby's sleeping area - where ever baby lies/is placed in the cot
- Switch the Nursery/Camera & Parent Unit ON
Gently place your hand in the furthest corner of the mattress & and wait for 20 seconds
- If the movement alarm does not sound after 20 seconds do continue with the following and repeat in the remaining corners
Remove your hand from the mattress and step away from the cot
- The Movement Sensor Pad is sensitive enough to detect your movement if you are touching the cot
- After 20 seconds a series of continuous beeps (The Main Alarm) will sound from the Nursery/Camera Unit & Parent Unit.
Just a note - with some models you may hear one beep after 15 seconds - this is normal and known as the Rouse Alarm, designed to make baby stir if inactive for 15 seconds before the main alarm sounds at 20 seconds
Place your hand on the mattress and after a few seconds the alarm will cease as the Sensor Pad will have detected your movement
- If the alarm sounds when you place your hand for 20 seconds in any of the corners adjust the sensitivity by turning it up a single level and repeat the 4 Corner Test
- If the alarm does not sound when you step away from the cot reduce the sensitivity down a single level and repeat the 4 Corner Test. Keep adjusting the level until the alarm sounds ensuring that movement is still detected in all four corners
Try the new setting over the next couple of nights and remember, when movement is not detected the monitor will alarm, when movement is detected, the monitor will not alarm.